There are many top ranked locally headquartered companies in Houston; according to Workforce Dynamics, a Pennsylvania-based research firm, some are even ranked among the nation’s ten best places to work.
Before pursuing employment with any corporation, I encourage all job seekers to investigate and discover as much as possible about companies that interest them. The facts gathered can be invaluable when deciding on the best places to work.
Below is a checklist I have compiled to help when conducting company research:
- Training and Development – Is the corporation heavily invested in training and development?
- Advancement – Does the firm provide opportunities for advancement?
- Company Culture – Does the firm treat its employees well?
- Pay – Do they pay wages and salaries above the industry standard?
- Diversity – Does the company encourage critical thinking and innovative ideas from a diverse workforce?
- Management – Do the managers share their vision and embrace innovation? Are they committed to change to stay competitive? Do you know the name of the CEO?
Keep in mind that the internet is not the only source of information. The local library can supply many books that could be helpful in your research. The Workforce Solutions offices can also provide a wide variety of books, periodicals, and other useful research materials.
Employers are impressed with applicants who know something about their industry, organization, and occupation. Your research should reveal company needs that fit your particular qualifications and prepare you for a dynamic and stress – free interview at one of the best places to work.
Carolyn Kennard is a Regional Facilitator for Workforce Solutions in the Houston – Galveston area. She conducts job search skills seminars throughout the 13 county Gulf Coast region. Before embarking on a career in workforce development, Carolyn achieved success in marketing and training with a major oil company. Carolyn holds a B.A. degree from Virginia State University and an M.A. degree from Prairie View A&M University.